Jailbreak 5.1 iPhone 4, 3GS, iPad 1, iPod Touch 4G, 3G is now available. As we expected yesterday that the iPhone Dev-team is working hardly to find a quick jailbreak specially for who updated to iOS 5.1 mistakenly. MuscleNerd of iPhone Dev-team has just announced the release of Redsn0w 0.9.10b6 to bring tethered jailbreak 5.1 for non-A5 devices (iPhoen 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad 1, iPod Touch 4G, 3G)
What’s tethered jailbreak :
Tethered jailbreaks require a computer connection to boot a jailbroken iOS device. The concept of a tethered jailbreak has been around a long time, but essentially it means this: every time your iPhone or iPod touch reboots or the battery dies, you have to connect (tether) your iOS device back to your computer so that the hardware can boot with the aid of the jailbreak application.
iPhone Dev-team blog (read carefully):
- This is a *tethered* 5.1 jailbreak for non-A5 devices. You’ll need to use redsn0w to “Just Boot” your device every time it power cycles, otherwise jailbreak apps won’t work (neither will Safari).
- If you use ultrasn0w for your carrier unlock, be sure to use a custom IPSW to get to 5.1 first! Don’t ever restore to a stock Apple IPSW! Use redsn0w’s “Custom IPSW” button to create a NO_BB_* version of the 5.1 IPSW and restore to that instead of the stock one. (That option is available only to 3GS and iPhone4-GSM owners.) ultrasn0w itself will be updated for 5.1 in the next few days (same baseband support, not 5.1’s baseband).
- If you’re lucky enough to have an old-bootrom 3GS, this jailbreak is actually untethered (redsn0w will figure that part out automatically).
- While we were at it, we added @pod2g’s steaks4uce exploit to support MC models of the iPod touch 2G (whose last firmware was 4.2.1). So now redsn0w will auto-detect and jailbreak all versions of that older device.
- iBooks won’t work until a future update of redsn0w
Jailbreak 5.1 iPhone 4, 3GS, iPod Touch 4G, 3G, iPad:
Required Downloads :
- Download iOS 5.1 for iPhone 4, 3GS, iPod touch and iPad
- Download Redsn0w 0.9.10b6 for Windows / Mac
- Download iTunes 10.6 for Windows & Mac
How to Jailbreak 5.1 iPhone 4, 3GS, iPod Touch 4G, 3G, iPad [Tutorial]:
Step 1: Connect your iDevice with your PC via USB, and open iTunes 10.6 then Restore to iOS 5.1 if you don’t already have it on your device
Step 2: Start Redsn0w, press on “Jailbreak” > Next
Step 3: Now make sure your device is both OFF and PLUGGED IN to the computer before you click “Next”.
At this stage you will be presented with a screen where you will be guided on how to enter DFU mode. Quickly hold “Power” button and then while holding the “Power” button, you will now have to hold “Home” button too. Now after few seconds release “Power” button but keep holding “Home” button until installation begins.
Step 4: Now select “Install Cydia” and click “Next”. Optionally (if available), you can also select any other option you like.
Step 5: Wait until you get iOS 5.1 jailbroken in few minutes. Congratulations.
Tethered Jailbreak : Once current Redsn0w jailbreak is still tethered jailbreak, you will be required to connect your iOS device with your computer and run Redsn0w again then choose “Extras” > “Just boot”
What’s Semi-Untethered jailbreak means :
The main issue of tethered jailbreak is that you need to connect your device to computer to use Redsn0w “Just Boot” tethered option every time your reboot your device. Semi-tethered jailbreak come specially to fix this issue, as it allows you reboot your device without connecting it with computer. So now you have untethered jailbreak on iOS 5. But the main issue is that 99% of jailbreak apps and tweaks won’t work at all. So what now ? Semi-tethered jailbreak is only a protection for you if your device reboots while you were away from your computer, but you will be able to use the most important functions of you iPhone until you get home and connect it with Redsn0w.
How to Jailbreak 5.1 Semi Untethered – iPhone 4, 3GS, iPad 1, iPod touch 4G, 3G:
Step 1: Now, open Cydia > Manage > Sources.
step 2: Tap on Edit > Add and insert the following repository
Step 3: Search for SemiTether and install it then reboot your device.
Jailbreak 5.1 Semi Untethered – iPhone 4, 3GS, iPad 1, iPod Touch 4G, 3G [Video Tutorial]:
You can follow JailbreakHow.net on Twitter, join our Facebook fanpage and add me on Google+ to keep yourself updated on the latest jailbreak and unlock news.